Planning Technician (Town Planning) 1 application
- Salary Offer $51,069 - $65,083
- Experience Level Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 1-2
- Education 4-year degree
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is a technical position involving the collection and analysis of data for the preparation of maps, charts, graphs, and narratives for community planning studies, publications, and reports. Work is performed under the direct supervision of a senior-level employee. Supervision of others is not a responsibility of this class. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (All need not be performed in a given position. Other related activities may be required although not listed.)
- Gathers data relative to community planning, including employment and population trends, traffic patterns, distribution of facilities, and general land use;
- Uses, or coordinates with the operator of, a computerized geographic information system and database programs to compile and analyze data collected from various sources;
- Assists in the preparation of narrative, graphic and tabular material for community planning use;
- Contacts personnel of other agencies, departments and institutions to collect information andstatistics;
- Maintains files of charts, maps, and drawings in both manual and digital form;
- Assists in the analysis and application of information and research;
- Prepares drawings, charts, illustrations, maps, and other support exhibits both manually andusing a computer;
- Conducts routine surveys and studies;
- Assists in field work in connection with land use, highway planning, and related planning areas;
- Assists in the analysis and preparation of reviews and reports on development proposals; FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Working knowledge of the principles and procedures of community planning; working knowledge of basic drafting techniques; working knowledge of the techniques involved in gathering and compiling data including computer analysis of data; ability to prepare clear and concise narrative reports; ability to utilize the instruments involved in drafting, drawing and graphic illustration; ability to prepare tables, charts, graphs, and maps; ability to gather and organize data; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; good judgment; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Provides staff support to citizen boards and committees involved in land use activities including
but not limited to reviewing, accepting, and processing applications (in person or online),
assisting applicants, creating agendas and staff reports for land use boards, ensuring timely
posting of materials and documents in various places, including on the town website, and
facilitating in person and/or online land use board meeting
Works with other town staff at DPW counter to assist members of the public with in-person
questions about development review, zoning, planning, and land use board application
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: EITHER:
- (A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university withan Associate’s degree in architecture, landscape architecture, civil engineering, geography, urban studies, environmental planning or environmental science, or community planning, plus two (2) years of paid full-time or its part-time equivalent experience in any of the following: preparation of planning surveys and analysis, OR land use and demographic studies, OR cartography, OR community planning, OR geographic information systems OR computer aided design; OR,
- (B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in architecture, landscape architecture, civil engineering, geography, urban studies, environmental planning or environmental science, economics, community planning or a closely related field; OR,
- (C) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s degree, plus one (1) year of paid full-time or its part-time equivalent experience as described in (A) above; OR,
- (D) Any equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
If you are appointed, you will be required to have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State or otherwise demonstrate your capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job.
Generous benefits package including NYS Retirement System