Small Bus Maintenance Technician
- Salary Offer HOURLY RATE: $22.62
- Experience Level Mid-Level
- Total Years Experience 3-5
- Education NONE
Regional Transit Service (RTS) is a regional transit authority established by New York State with more than 1,000 employees who proudly serve customers and business partners in Monroe, Genesee, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, and Wyoming counties. Recognized as one of the best-run transit systems in the nation, RTS partners with the community it serves to provide vital, safe, and sustainable transportation services to nearly 8 million people each year. We carry out our mission by connecting our customers to jobs, school, healthcare, shopping, and recreational activities every day.
This position is responsible for maintenance and repair of buses in the RTS Access fleet to standards set by company regulations for motor vehicle inspections and safety standards. This is a Union environment in association with the Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 282.
HOURLY RATE: $22.62
WORK HOURS: Three shifts available:
Wednesday through Sunday, 9:00am-5:00pm
Monday through Wednesday, 5:00pm-1:00am; and Saturday and Sunday, 5:00pm-1:00am
Wednesday through Friday, 5:00pm-1:00am; and Saturday and Sunday, 5:00pm-1:00am.
- Inspect and test equipment at prescribed intervals of time and usage or upon malfunction or breakdown
- Disassemble, inspect, and replace worn or broken parts
- Fit and adjust new or repaired parts
- Test drive vehicles for diagnosis and completed repair
- Notify supervisor of potential dangerous equipment and corrective action to be taken
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment
- Drive service vehicle to disabled buses and make necessary repairs or change buses
- Repair and maintain bus radio, CAD/AVL and camera systems
- Plow and salt facility lots and sidewalks as necessary.
- Performs all other assigned duties related to the overall maintenance and repairs of company’s revenue and non-revenue vehicles.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED required
- Vehicle maintenance experience and/or vocational training in automotive or diesel mechanics preferred
- CDL Class “B” License or Permit with passenger endorsement desired, but not required. (Must obtain Class “B” permit prior to start date).
- Clean driving record
- Required to supply own hand tools
DESIRED COMPETENCIES PREFERRED – WILL TRAIN THE RIGHT PERSON!:
Ability to diagnose and repair body electronic systems and engine electronic systems; Ability to diagnose and repair air conditioning systems; Diesel experience would be helpful but not required; Experience in hydraulic brake and air brake systems; Must be capable of replacing, bleeding and adjusting brake shoes, pads, rotors, wheel bearings and calipers; Experience in a variety of electrical systems including charging, cranking, lights, interlock and lift systems; Familiar with the use of tire equipment for mounting and balancing wheels; Use of torches and welding equipment needed at times; Must become familiar with the operation of our fleet maintenance software system and properly utilize it; Ability to receive correction and follow directions as well as being self-managing; Strong computer literacy skills; Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagrammatic, or scheduled form; Must be able to successfully complete pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.