Cleaner 168 views1 application
- Experience Level Entry Level
- Total Years Experience 0-12 months
- Education NONE
The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The District celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.
Cleaner: B Shift during the school year/days during breaks & summer
This is a labor position involving performance of cleaning duties in the upkeep of building interiors, furniture, and fixtures for a department, agency, hospital or school. The work involves following simple routines and procedures in accomplishing tasks. This position is distinguished from entry level custodial positions by absence of plumbing and carpentry. Work is performed under direct supervision of a Custodian, Assistant Custodian or Custodial Assistant Foreman who assigns cleaning tasks and inspects completed work. Does related work as required.
- Sweeps, dust mops and may polish floors, hallways, stairwells, and entranceways.
- Dusts, polishes, and cleans office and school furniture, electrical fixtures, woodwork, stair railings, radiators, and venetian blinds.
- Washes marks, stains, and fingerprints from walls, tables, chairs, desks, cupboards, counters and glass.
- Cleans lavatory facilities including fixtures, toilets, and floors.
- Vacuums carpets and upholstered furniture and removes minor stains.
- Empties ashtrays, wastebaskets, and pencil sharpeners into large trash containers.
- Fills dispensers with disposable paper products.
- Secures and locks windows and office classroom doors.
- Turns off lights and unplugs small electrical appliances.
- Straightens and arranges office, classroom and cafeteria furniture.
- Washes chalkboards and chalktrays.
- Washes windows and mirrors.
- Assists parents and other visitors to school buildings with special events and programs.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses cleaning equipment including brooms, mops, floor cleaning and waxing machines, vacuum cleaners, snow blowers, shovels, and hand tools.
Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper use of tools and power equipment used in the performance of duties.
Wears appropriate safety gear, including masks. Must comply with school district’s chemical hygiene program and follow MSDS sheets.
Occasional travel between schools, or between schools and central office, may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of building cleaning procedures, materials, and equipment; working knowledge of cleaning agents and proper applications; ability to follow oral and written instructions, especially as printed on cleaning agents; ability to operate a vacuum cleaner; willingness to perform repetitive cleaning tasks; ability to use cleaning agents and electrical equipment safely; dependability; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather conditions.
- Exposure to cleaning chemicals, solvents and contaminated trash, grasses, pollens, etc.
See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying.
Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- There are no education or experience qualifications.
- Previous experience in building and cleaning maintenance desirable.
- NYS Motor Vehicle Operator’s license or ability to provide own transportation.