Rochester Institute of Technology
Cook II – The Commons 35 views
- Experience Level Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 1-2
- Education High School Diploma or GED
Executes advanced hot food preparation in RIT Dining locations. The primary responsibility is to cook full entrees that requires advanced food preparation techniques. Provides mentorship and acts as a resource to Cook I. Ensures quality food preparation, safety, sanitation, and customer service.
Hours of Work for this position are:
Tuesday through Saturday: 12PM-8:30PM for the school year.
Additionally, flexible scheduling/work hours may be required during break week, summer and intersession. Large institute events may require additional hours (such as commencement (graduation) and Imagine RIT Festival).
- Cooks entrees to include proteins and sides requiring advanced food preparation techniques. Prepares menu items according to production specification and recipes from menu management database.
- Assist in training and supervising staff and students on all food procedures for both front and back of the house of operation and on proper use, cleaning, and sanitization of equipment.
- Provides support to Junior Sous Chefs or Sous Chefs on special projects. Continuously provides input into development of menus.
- May perform similar cooking duties as Cook I such as short orders such as hamburgers, chicken, eggs, and other grill items as well as prepare cold food items such as items for delicatessen/salad bar and compound salads.
- Washes, cuts, and prepares hot and cold foods.
- Ensures all prepared food is satisfactory in quality and quantity prepared, and served and stored at proper temperatures and times.
- Assists in maintaining proper labeling, rotation, and storage of food items.
- Cleans cooking utensils, grills, ovens, hoods, and other kitchen equipment.
- Maintains sanitation and health and safety standards. Serve as a good example for proper sanitation, cleaning and personal hygiene.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Live our values, embrace diverse perspectives, and nurture the RIT community to remain a great place to work for all.
- High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and 1 year of experience in a high-volume restaurant, country club, or institutional setting.
- Servsafe certified or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
- Allertain certified or ability to obtain within six months of hire.
- Must successfully complete Cook II culinary skills test.