Cook Manager 115 views1 application
- Salary Offer $18.64 - $21.60/hr.
- Experience Level Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 1-2
- Education High School Diploma or GED
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is an important food service position involving responsibility for the supervision, coordination and participation in the preparation, cooking and service of hot and cold foods to students and faculty in a school lunch room or cafeteria. The work is performed under the general supervision of a Food Service Director or other higher-level food service staff member. Direct supervision is exercised over Cooks, Assistant Cooks and Food Service Helpers. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (All need not be performed in a given position. Other related activities may be performed although not listed.)
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of workers engaged in preparing, cooking and serving meals;
- Participates in the preparation, cooking and service of meals;
- Supervises the preservation and storage of food;
- Requisitions food and supplies;
- Coordinates and insures adherence to safety and sanitary procedures in the food preparation area;
- Supervises and participates in the cleaning of kitchen, serving, storage and dining areas;
- Supervises and participates in the cleaning and care of kitchen equipment;
- Supervises the training of kitchen staff involved in food preparation, cooking or serving;
- Maintains records on inventory, production and sales;
- Maintains time and payroll records;
- Plans work schedules;
- Oversees Free and Reduced Lunch Program at school.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of the proper methods for preparing, cooking and serving quality food in large quantities and for storing and preserving food; good knowledge of the principles of nutrition and a balanced diet; good knowledge of the proper care and operation of kitchen utensils, equipment and appliances; good knowledge of the sanitary and safety principles and practices applicable to food production and serving; working knowledge of cleaning methods and the use of cleaning supplies for appliances, equipment and food preparation and serving areas; ability to plan, assign and review the work of others; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with others; ability to maintain an inventory; record keeping ability; ability to follow menus, recipes and simple oral and written directions; resourcefulness; cleanliness; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: EITHER:
(A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s degree in Food Service Administration, plus one (1) year of paid full-time or its part-time equivalent experience in the preparation and cooking of a complete menu of foodstuffs for consumption on a large scale for a restaurant, hotel or institution, other than short order or fast food; OR,
(B) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma, plus three (3) years of paid full-time or its part-time equivalent experience in the preparation and cooking of a complete menu of foodstuffs for consumption on a large scale for a restaurant, hotel or institution, other than short order or fast food, OR,
(C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
NOTE: Where the educational requirement is not met, additional experience as described in (A) may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Depending on the position duties, candidates for employment with the Monroe County Government will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR APPOINTMENT IN SCHOOL DISTRICTS AND BOCES:
Per Chapter 180 of the Laws of 2000, and by Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, to be employed in a position designated by a school district or BOCES as involving direct contact with students, a clearance for employment from the State Education Department is required.