Elementary School Teaching Positions
- Experience Level Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 3-5
- Education Certification
Purpose: Under the general supervision of the Building Administrator, to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of individual students and by creating a culturally inviting, flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parent(s)/guardian(s) and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
- Administers elementary curriculum consistent with District goals and objectives
- Promotes a classroom environment that is culturally diverse, safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials according to NYS Standards
- Instructs students in the principles of the “Spartan Way” and other subject matters
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending professional development opportunities
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping for, grading and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws
- Encourages parent(s)/guardian(s) involvement in students’ education and ensures effective communication with students and families
- Ensures that student conduct conforms with the school’s standards and district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior in the classroom
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, and participates in faculty meetings and committees
- Selects and requests appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with District testing programs
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Administrator and other district office administrators.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles
- Knowledge of elementary school curriculum and concepts
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed
- Ability to organize and coordinate work
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parent(s)/guardian(s)
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation regarding performance and professional growth and cultural awareness
- Ability to engage culturally diverse students
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with internal and external stakeholder
Certification/License: NYS Certification as an Elementary Teacher (Grades K-6)
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Elementary Education or related discipline applicable to teaching assignment; Master’s degree in related area preferred
Experience: Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade levels a plus; Experience working with a diverse population of students desired
Demands, Hazards: Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Equipment: Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travel: Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.