Teacher Assistant 187 views
- Experience Level Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 1-2
- Education High School Diploma or GED
Job Title: Teacher Assistant
Organization: Exploration Elementary Charter School for Science and Technology
Reports To: Principal
Duration: 11 Month Position
The Teacher Assistant assists the teacher in reinforcing the instruction and expectations taught in the classroom. This includes going over lessons with students individually or in small groups, answering questions, grading assignments, or providing students with feedback. The teacher assistant may be asked to supervise the students outside of the classroom on the playground, during specials, during bathroom breaks, at lunchtime, and on field trips.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Collaborate with classroom teachers on lesson plans/planning
- Work with individual students or groups of students requiring special instruction and interventions
- Work with classroom teachers to identify information about specific students in order to develop appropriate teaching plans and learning experiences for students
- Assist in the preparation of instructional resources and aid students in the use of these resources
- Provides and effectively plans for the prevention and management of student crises by utilizing intervention techniques in accordance with school-wide and individual student plans.
- Work with classroom teachers to instruct students in areas such as remedial reading, remedial math, and life skills.
- Provides direct classroom instruction in the event of a teacher’s absence
- Maintains communication with families regarding the progress of students as directed by the classroom teacher.
- Help to proctor and supervise students during testing assessments
- Use feedback to update individual student goals for achievement
- Monitor and support students in the cafeteria during student lunch duty
- Monitor and support students during transition times, bathroom breaks, recess time, bus arrival, and afternoon dismissal as assigned
- Participate in parent-teacher conferences as requested by classroom teachers
- Enforce school rules and policies with students at all times
- Attend staff meetings, professional development, and training sessions as required
- Fulfill all outlined and related functions professionally, timely, and thoroughly
- Attends quarterly family nights as scheduled
- Regularly use Google for calendaring, email communication, and accessing important documents
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Certification in child first aid and CPR preferred
- Able to work some flexible hours to accommodate parent/guardian meetings, school activities, and other mandated events/meetings.
- Fingerprint clearance from NYS Department of Education
Teacher Assistant Certification
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Associate’s degree in education or related field preferred
- Teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred