Engineering Assistant 13 views
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 1-2
- Education Some College
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
Assists the Department of Public Works and the Town Engineer in municipal engineering activities; primarily providing inspection services, plan review, and assistance in design work related to the construction of civil/site projects. The employee reports directly to, and works under the general supervision of the Town Engineer. Supervision is not a responsibility of this class.
Typical Work Duties:
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Under general supervision conducts civil/site inspection of municipal projects, residential subdivisions, and commercial projects. Monitors progression of Road Construction, Utilities, Building Construction and Erosion Control Practices.
- Documents field construction and coordinates record plan documentation.
- Assist Contractors in complying with construction specification requirements. Coordinate and conduct field testing of sanitary and storm sewer systems.
- Assist in the review of applications, project designs, and contracts prepared by consultants for compliance with codes and regulations. Advises applicants on routine adjustments necessary to receive approval.
- Assists in preparation of design plans, details, specifications, and project estimates utilizing Auto CAD, Excel, Word and State/Local Codes.
- Assist in processing financial Letter of Credit submissions and releases.
- Processes citizen complaints and inspection requests by responding to those in well-defined areas and referring more complex and sensitive ones to senior staff.
Full Performance Knowledge’s, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
Basic knowledge of engineering practices and theory in the relevant area of civil engineering; working knowledge of general civil/site construction methods and principles; knowledge of local building codes and zoning ordinances; ability to read and interpret blueprints; ability to maintain accurate records; ability to conduct field inspections and utility testing; ability to utilize related computer software and field instruments; ability to communicate orally and in writing; establish rapport with the general public; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma plus, EITHER:
(A) One (1) year of paid full-time or its part-time equivalent experience involving computerized drafting or surveying (measurement of dimensional relationships); OR,
(B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s degree in Civil Engineering Technology, Civil Technology, Civil Engineering, or a closely related degree; OR,
(C) An equivalent combination of education and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
NOTE: Candidates who qualify under option (B) and (C) must submit an official or student copy of their college transcript along with their applications.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
Candidates are typically in the process of obtaining, or have received, additional accreditation to become a Certified Professional in Erosion & Sediment Control (CPESC)
Salary Is commensurate with experience.
If you are appointed, you will be required to have a valid NYS Driver’s License to operate a motor vehicle.
Responding to the Town of Pittsford residents for information and concerns is an important aspect of this job. The candidate must have the ability to communicate effectively with the general public and act as a representative for the Town of Pittsford.
The Town of Pittsford provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Background checks are required for all employment in the Town of Pittsford. All offers will be subject to successful completion of an acceptable background check.
Interested candidates should send an application, cover letter & resume by mail, email or fax to: