Family Advocate I or II 24 views
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level All, Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 1-2
- Education High School Diploma or GED
Under the supervision and general direction of the assigned manager, the Family Advocate I or II provides outreach, information, referrals, and advocacy services, and helps to coordinate family support services for families of children with special needs. Applicants must be a parent or primary care giver of a child with special needs and/or social, emotional, or behavioral challenges.
Essential functions of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Provide emotional support to families through phone and face to face meetings.
- Meet program specific billable service requirements (as appropriate).
- Meet documentation requirements in a timely manner per program guidelines.
- Provide family support as needed.
- Coach families on how to advocate for themselves.
- Facilitate/co-facilitate meetings with families in their home or at an agency location.
- Help families find ways to meet their basic needs of food, clothing, shelter, safety, and health.
- Assist families in identifying parenting skills which could be strengthened, and model these skills to the families.
- At the point of intake, help families assess their own resources for services needed. (such as respite, transportation and child care)
- Acts as an advocate in identifying and accessing community services and resources for families.
- Help family identify gaps in services needed and assist in planning to eliminate gap.
- Help families to identify strengths upon which to build a foundation of improved communication and coping skills.
Requirements for all applicants: **Must be the parent or primary care giver of a child with special needs and/or social, emotional or behavioral challenges** COVER LETTER DESCRIBING RELEVANT EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED WITH RESUME. High School Diploma or GED is required. Applicants must have experience in navigating systems (general or special education, court, specialized therapies, etc.) to obtain services for their child/family and/or have experience supporting/assisting other families in obtaining assistance. Candidates should have a valid driver’s license and meet agency driving standards.
- Family Advocate II: Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in all essential functions of the Family Advocate I position, or must have 2 years of external experience in a comparable position demonstrating the same.
This is a mobile position and applicant will work primarily in Orleans and Niagara Counties. Open to candidates looking for full or part time work.