Family Advocate 34 views
- Postal Code 14609
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level All
- Total Years Experience 0-2
- Education High School Diploma
*Cover Letter Required
We are currently hiring for a full time Family Advocate for our Monroe region. **Applicants must be a parent or primary care giver of a child with special needs and/or social, emotional, or behavioral challenges. Please submit a cover letter explaining how you meet this specific requirement with a copy of your resume for consideration. Resumes submitted without a cover letter explaining how you meet this requirement will not be moved forward.
The Family Advocate I provides outreach, information, referrals, and advocacy services, and helps to coordinate family support services for families of children with special needs.
Essential functions of the Family Advocate I position include, but are not limited to:
- Provide emotional support to families through phone and face to face meetings.
- Meet program specific billable service requirements (as appropriate).
- Meet documentation requirements in a timely manner per program guidelines.
- Provide family support as needed.
- Coach families on how to advocate for themselves.
- Facilitate/co-facilitate meetings with families in their home or at an agency location.
- Help families find ways to meet their basic needs of food, clothing, shelter, safety, and health.
- Assist families in identifying parenting skills which could be strengthened, and model these skills to the families.
- At the point of intake, help families assess their own resources for services needed. (such as respite, transportation and child care)
- Acts as an advocate in identifying and accessing community services and resources for families.
- Help family identify gaps in services needed and assist in planning to eliminate gap.
- Help families to identify strengths upon which to build a foundation of improved communication and coping skills.
Requirements: ***Applicants must be the parent or primary care giver of a child with special needs and/or social, emotional or behavioral challenges***- COVER LETTER DESCRIBING RELEVANT EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED WITH RESUME. High School Diploma or GED is required. Applicants must have experience in navigating systems (general or special education, court, specialized therapies, etc.) to obtain services for their child/family and/or have experience supporting/assisting other families in obtaining assistance.