Health Reporter/Producer 331 views
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 3-5
- Education 4-year degree
POSITION: Health Reporter/Producer
DIVISION: Radio and Television
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: News & Public Affairs Director
SUMMARY: The Role of the Health Reporter/Producer is a multi-media journalist with solid entrepreneurial reporting skills who can produce balanced and engaging content on issues of importance to the Rochester community.
The health reporter/producer will report daily news and enterprise pieces ranging from consumer health issues, to in-depth reporting on health policy and systems. The corona virus pandemic will be important to this beat, as will thoughtful coverage of the impact of national and state health policy on the greater Rochester areas. This position may occasionally contribute general assignment reports as well.
This reporter also contributes regularly to coverage of issues which impact people with disabilities. The“Inclusion Desk,” coverage includes features and spot news stories.
- Work closely with news director and on-air hosts to generate compelling radio, television, and on-demand news programming that is responsive to current events and emerging issues.
- Actively cultivate sources throughout the community, taking special care to include under-represented and diverse voices.
- Create and post visual, text, audio and social media content for multimedia news distribution channels. Participate in digital-first content creation.
- Conduct regular research on issues affecting Rochester and the surrounding region.
- Work collaboratively with external and internal partners on special projects such as citizen engagement initiatives, election night coverage, and major breaking events.
- Participate in membership drives, auctions, and other WXXI fundraising and events as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field.
- 2+ years of Journalism experience, preferably in a public broadcasting field. (previous health reporting experience is a plus).
- Excellent broadcast news writing skills.
- Digital audio production experience.
- Flexibility to produce a variety of multimedia content on deadline.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Provide current audio and writing samples.
WXXI is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity. This policy expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic predisposition, gender identity or expression, carrier status, domestic violence victim status, veteran status or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.