Human Resources Specialist
- Salary Offer $21.63/hr. - $24.04/hr
- Experience Level Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 1-2
- Education Some College
The Human Resources Specialist is responsible for providing the coordination and administration of functional tasks, projects, activities, employee requests, and conducts the flow of information within the People Department. Under general supervision, performs a variety of technical and administrative duties relating to personnel functions and programs including benefits administration, general human resources functions, and employee well-being. Provides information and assistance to RTS employees regarding human resources activities, processes, policies, and procedures; prepares various correspondence and memoranda; coordinates activities related to areas of assignment; and performs a variety of tasks requiring specialized knowledge.
This is an in-person position working out of the RTS Corporate Office located at 1372 E. Main St. Rochester, NY.
HOURLY RATE: $21.63/hr. – $24.04/hr. (depending on experience)
- Staying Healthy: Medical, Dental, and Vision (Dental & Vision insurance are currently free), Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Feeling Secure: Disability Insurance, Pension Plan, NY State Deferred Compensation Plan, Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance, Accident Insurance, Group Specified Disease Insurance and Hospital Insurance
- Work-Life Balance: Paid Time Off (PTO: 17 days upon hire; accrue additional time after 1 year), Employee Assistance Program, Paid Holidays, Verizon Wireless Discount, On-site Fitness Center open 24/7, Employee Wellness Program, Culture & Inclusion Council, BJ’s Wholesale Club Discount, and more!
REPORTS TO: Manager of Benefits & Well-Being
- Performs a wide variety of clerical, technical, administrative, and office support duties in support of the Authority’s People Department.
- Assists employees in understanding the organization’s benefits offerings and acts as a liaison between the organization and third-party benefits providers.
- Conducts benefits orientation or enrollment meetings, advises on eligibility, costs, and coverage, and provides information for use in memos, presentations, or other benefits communications.
- Maintains records related to benefits plan participation or contributions.
- Explains employment benefits and general terms and conditions of employment to employees and department representatives.
- Provides customer service, both in-person and by telephone; screens and directs telephone calls; takes and relays messages; answers questions from employees regarding human resources issues, rules, and regulations relating to human resources management; responds to employment verification requests, salary and benefits, and other requests for information.
- Provides general clerical and administrative support to the People Department; composes and types letters, memoranda, and other correspondence related to assigned human resources programs and activities; prepares a variety of reports including status reports pertaining to human resource management programs and activities.
- Maintains personnel records, both electronic and paper, ensuring timely and accurate records.
- Ensures confidentiality with all personnel matters.
- Manages off-site file storage vendor relationship – includes sending, receiving, organizing, and tracking boxes.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and company policies which includes preparing required employment notices and monitoring time and location requirements for distribution & notification.
- Compiles data for special personnel projects and reports.
- Performs a variety of general office support duties; makes copies; maintains calendar of activities, meetings, and various events for assigned staff; processes mail including receiving, sorting, time stamping, logging, and distributing incoming and outgoing correspondence and packages; files, orders office supplies.
- Creates all employee, vendor, and guest passes while working closely with the IT and Security Departments to validate and deactivate badges.
- Coordinates and maintains all departmental facility needs.
- Manages and processes unemployment claims and responses.
- Attends frequent meetings with professionals in other areas of the company to discuss upcoming events and projects.
- Assists in employee well-being initiatives to support department activities.
- Provides in-person support to RTS employees and guests.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED required. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least three (3) years of experience in a Human Resources or related field.
- Experience handling employee benefits and benefits enrollment required (familiarity with ACA benefits a plus).
- Experience using Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS), or Human Resource Management Systems (HRMS). Experience using UKG (UltiPro) a plus.
- Familiarity with NY State labor laws, rules, and regulations.
- SHRM-CP or PHR Certification preferred, but not required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (particularly Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize a high volume of work.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines on a regular and consistent basis; ability to follow through.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent customer service (both internal and external customers).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit while using hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk, hear, see, and use a computer. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This is an in-person position and is not eligible for telework.