Software Engineer 22 views
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 1-2
- Education 4-year degree
Detailed Job Description
Please note: This is a two-year grant funded position.
This position is specifically within the NTID Center on Culture and Language (CCL). We are looking for a Software Engineer to design, develop, and install software solutions designed specifically to promote accessibility and inclusion.
The Software Engineer responsibilities include gathering user requirements, defining system functionality and writing code in various languages like C#, Java, or Python. Our ideal candidate is familiar with the software development life cycle (SDLC) from preliminary system analysis to tests and deployment. Ultimately, the role of the Software Engineer is to lead a team of software engineers/developers (students and/or staff) for the purpose of building high-quality, innovative, accessible, inclusive, and fully performing software apps that complies with coding standards and technical design.
The Software Engineer will be responsible for leading NTID’s research center efforts improving the accessibility needs especially deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals through innovative access technologies. This includes working with faculty, researchers, staff, and students in the conceptualization, design, development, testing and building of software related projects and apps.
Major Responsibilities include:
- Assist with development and technology integration of the innovative platforms
- Responsible for creating, testing, documenting, deploying, and supporting software applications for multiple products and platforms
- Work closely with key stakeholders in designing solutions, deploying programs and evaluating user feedback
- Lead and supervise a team of software engineers or similar experts (students and staff) to brainstorm, provide directions and track progress in various projects to ensure quality deliverables with the best possible user experience in a timely fashion
- Collaborate with Center’s faculty, staff and student employees to determine which technologies and approaches are best suited to address research project needs
- Develop software verification plans and quality assurance procedures
- Write clean, maintainable code using best practices in software development (unit testing, source control, continuous integration, code re-use, design patterns, etc.)
- Ensure all project and organization information remains confidential throughout every step of the process
- Engage in continuing education and training by studying cutting edge development tools, computer equipment, and programming techniques
Required Minimum Qualifications
BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field.
- Proven work experience as Software Developer, Software Engineer or equivalent (1 to 3 years)
- Proven work experience in communicating with others, other technical teams and management to collect requirements, identify tasks, provide estimates and meet deadlines (1 to 3 years)
- Proven work experience with mixed reality development (including VR and AR) using any platform (e.g. smart AR glasses manufacturers: Microsoft, Vuzix, Nreal, Google, Magic Leap, Rokid, Kopin, Shadow Creator) (1 -3 years)
- Willingness to learn American Sign Language and communicate with a wide range of Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals
- Experience with programming languages (e.g. C#, Java, Python or equivalent) – 1-3 years
- Experience with databases (e.g. MySQL or equivalent) – 1-3 years
- Experience with version control system and its repositories (e.g. GitHub or equivalent) – 1-3 years
- Experience working with 2D/3D game engines or equivalent tools to design interfaces for interactive experiences and/or apps – 1-3 years