Transit Systems Engineer 68 views
- Salary Offer $85,000 - $102,000
- Experience Level Highly Skilled
- Total Years Experience 3-5
- Education 4-year degree
Regional Transit Service (RTS) is a regional transit authority established by New York State with more than 1,000 employees who proudly serve customers and business partners in Monroe, Genesee, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, and Wyoming counties. Recognized as one of the best-run transit systems in the nation, RTS partners with the community it serves to provide vital, safe, and sustainable transportation services to nearly 8 million people each year. We carry out our mission by connecting our customers to jobs, school, healthcare, shopping, and recreational activities every day.
*Please note: RTS is unable to do visa sponsorships and does not pay for relocating expenses.
The Transit Systems Engineer is responsible for implementing new systems, maintaining and improving the quality of current systems, and troubleshooting issues related to the RGRTA fleet systems, including the Computer Aided Dispatch/Automatic Vehicle Location (CAD/AVL) System known as OrbCAD, Micro Transit Operations Platform, the Yard Management System and the interfaces with Trapeze OPS, EAM, and Highline HRIS, the digital display signs known as ATIS Signs, the Automatic Passenger Counter (APC) System, the Fare Collection System (includes fareboxes, vaults, TVMs, digital validators and fare structure changes), the Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) System interfaces, and the Vehicle Destination Sign displays.
REPORTS TO: Director of Information Technology
SALARY RANGE: $85,000-$102,000 annually (depends on experience)
- Staying Healthy: Medical, Dental (currently free) and Vision (currently free), Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Feeling Secure: Disability Insurance, Pension Plan, NY State Deferred Compensation Plan, Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance, Accident Insurance, Group Specified Disease Insurance and Hospital Insurance
- Work-Life Balance: Paid Time Off (PTO: 17 days upon hire; accrue additional time after 1 year), Employee Assistance Program, Paid Holidays, Verizon Wireless Discount, On-site Fitness Center open 24/7, Employee Wellness Program, Culture & Inclusion Council, BJ’s Wholesale Club Discount, and more!
- Monitor and analyze the performance of the OrbCAD system.
- Perform troubleshooting of OrbCAD issues, including vehicle/fixed-end voice and data cellular communication, vehicle/fixed-end communication (WiFi), and database/computer system issues.
- Monitor and analyze the performance of the Fare Collection System including Mobile Ticketing.
- Troubleshoot ATIS Sign issues.
- Perform troubleshooting of Yard Management issues.
- Help implement new systems and/or upgrades to existing systems (e.g., eVIR, EAM).
- Perform troubleshooting of Fare Collection issues (fareboxes, hardware fare validators, vaults, TVMs, and revenue reconciliation).
- Make requested changes to the RGRTA fare structure (adding or changing passes).
- Provide bus vehicle information and/or pass ridership information to RGRTA System Safety and Security staff when requested.
- Provide support for Vehicle Destination Signs.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- At least ten years of experience working in information technology, engineering, or related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform a wide variety of duties requiring considerable judgment to work independently devising new methods, adapting or changing standard procedures to meet new conditions and making decisions guided by precedent and within the limits of established policies.
- Ability to work within defined objectives and broad and varying policies, procedures, rules or precedents. Plans and arranges own work while the supervisor provides some functional guidance. Details of accomplishing the objective are left to the position. Unusual situations are referred to supervision.
- Proficient computer/technological skills, including intermediate knowledge of computer operating systems (Windows, Unix), databases, SQL, queries, reports, networking (TCP/IP, WiFi), and protocols (J1708, JK1939).
- Intermediate knowledge of electrical test equipment (multimeters, scopes, analyzers), electrical circuits, and radios
- Knowledge of engineering.
- Ability to prioritize projects and estimate work effort.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work productively across departments and employee groups.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit while using hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk, hear, see, and use a computer. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds, and push or pull up to 50 pounds.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
RGRTA is committed to equal opportunity for all, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. RGRTA will make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified employees and applicants with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.