Laborer 8 views
- Salary Offer $19.44/hour
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 0-12 months
- Education NONE
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This is an entry level unskilled position involving a variety of routine heavy and light manual labor tasks. The employee reports directly to and works under the general supervision of a foreman or other higher level employee. The job requires physical endurance. May be required to work outdoors in all kinds of weather, to work overtime, and to be on twenty-four (24) hour call seven (7) days a week for emergencies. Supervision of others is not a responsibility of this class. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
(All need not to be performed in a given position. Other related
activities may be performed although not listed)
Assists with installation, maintenance, repair, and cleaning of highway, sewer or water system
Assists in construction, patching and grading of roads, and installation of new sidewalks;
Shovels, rakes and tamps asphalt;
Operates snowplow wing;
Removes snow from sidewalks, parking lots, and recreational areas by shoveling or using
tractor or pick-up truck and plow;
Collects yard debris and leaves and may be required to pick up garbage and/or rubbish;
Plants and prunes trees, grades lawns, rakes leaves, cuts grass and brush, spades flower beds,
cuts wood, and assists in other grounds maintenance activities;
Digs and refills trenches for sewer and water lines, and drainage pipe
Excavates and backfills for new construction and repairs;
Repairs, cleans and flushes culverts and basins;
Performs general building cleaning tasks such as dusting, sweeping, mopping, and washing;
Fills motor equipment with cement, sand, stone or oil etc.;
Loads and unloads vehicles and trucks;
Directs traffic on road projects;
Picks up dead animals for disposal;
Repairs mailboxes, installs sign or fence posts, and assembles, sets up or removes road signs;
Assists with painting and unskilled carpentry tasks;
Operates hand and power tools of all types;
Drives pick-up truck or other light vehicle for the delivery of supplies or messages;
Operates motor equipment as a trainee under direct supervision;
Keep building and/or work areas of a jobsite clean and organized as necessary to maintain safe
and productive work;
Assists a mechanic with equipment repairs, and service equipment by adding fuel, coolant and
Operates telephone or two-way radio for emergency dispatching.
Keeps pick-up trucks or other light weight vehicles washed and clean.
- Must be able to work in strenuous conditions; able to lift up to 50 pounds
- This position requires physical endurance and good physical health.
- Must have good interpersonal skills, be dependable and have reliable transportation.
- Must have a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License Class D.
- Must pass physical examination to determine ability to perform manual labor.
- Candidates for employment will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Good knowledge of the use of hand tools; working knowledge of methods used to maintain and
construct roads, sidewalks, catch basins, etc.
- Working knowledge of ground maintenance activities; and of building cleaning methods
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills
- The person assigned must successfully complete a probationary period of 52 weeks