Laborer 44 views2 applications
- Salary Offer $18.50 per hour
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level Entry Level
- Total Years Experience 0-12 months
- Education NONE
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This is an entry level unskilled position
involving a variety of routine heavy and light manual labor tasks. The employee reports directly
to and works under the general supervision of a foreman or other higher level employee. The
job requires physical endurance. May be required to work outdoors in all kinds of weather, to
work overtime, and to be on twenty-four (24) hour call seven (7) days a week for emergencies.
Supervision of others is not a responsibility of this class. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
- Assists with installation, maintenance, repair, and cleaning of highway, sewer or water system
- Assists in construction, patching and grading of roads, and installation of new sidewalks;
- Shovels, rakes and tamps asphalt;
- Operates snowplow wing;
- Removes snow from sidewalks, parking lots, and recreational areas by shoveling or using
tractor or pick-up truck and plow;
- Collects garbage and rubbish;
- Plants and prunes trees, grades lawns, rakes leaves, cuts grass and brush, spades flower beds,
cuts wood, and assists in other grounds maintenance activities;
- Digs and refills trenches for sewer and water lines, and drainage pipe
- Excavates and backfills for new construction and repairs;
- Repairs, cleans and flushes culverts and basins;
- Performs general building cleaning tasks such as dusting, sweeping, mopping, and washing;
- Fills motor equipment with cement, sand, stone or oil etc.;
- Loads and unloads vehicles and trucks;
- Directs traffic on road projects;
- Picks up dead animals for disposal;
- Repairs mailboxes, installs sign or fence posts, and assembles, sets up or removes road signs;
- Assists with painting and unskilled carpentry tasks;
- Operates hand and power tools of all types;
- Drives pick-up truck or other light vehicle for the delivery of supplies or messages;
- Operates motor equipment as a trainee under direct supervision;
- Keep building and/or work areas of a jobsite clean and organized as necessary to maintain safe
and productive work;
- Assists a mechanic with equipment repairs, and service equipment by adding fuel, coolant and
- Operates telephone or two-way radio for emergency dispatching.
- Must be able to work in strenuous conditions; able to lift up to 50 pounds
- This position requires physical endurance and good physical health.
- Must have good interpersonal skills, be dependable and have reliable transportation.
- Must have a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License Class D.
- Must pass physical examination to determine ability to perform manual labor.
- Candidates for employment will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: There are no training and experience qualifications