Director of Maintenance 13 views
- Salary Offer $125,000 - $135,000
- Experience Level Highly Skilled
- Total Years Experience 6-10
- Education 4-year degree
DEADLINE TO APPLY: August 15, 2022
Regional Transit Service, Inc. (RTS) is a Public Transit Authority in the Rochester, NY area. The Authority has approximately 1,000 employees and 375 buses. RTS serves eight counties, spanning 4,350 square miles.
RTS is currently seeking a Director of Maintenance to oversee vehicle maintenance and buildings, grounds, and general maintenance. This candidate will develop and implement strategies meant to improve the organization’s vehicle maintenance performance through continuous process improvement methodologies and production related processes. A successful candidate should identify processes or procedures that could benefit from process improvement or efficiency optimization and facilitate the implementation of those changes. This individual will establish quality and safety standards and track performance.
An essential aspect of the Director of Maintenance role will be contributing to the development and mentoring of a large, Authority-wide team. Developing and maintaining open communication and psychological safety will be required in the process of building and maintaining strong relationships to strengthen the culture and engagement of the diverse team.
SUPERVISES: Manager of Maintenance Support Operations, Manager of Maintenance Systems & Quality, Inventory and Warranty Manager, Manager of Access and Regional Maintenance, Manager of Fleet Maintenance
SALARY RANGE: $125,000-$135,000 annually (depends on experience)
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Takes on the overall responsibility for the maintenance and repair of essential RTS bus rolling stock and associated systems equipment. This includes but is not limited to the following: Buses, Non-revenue vehicles, Fareboxes, Radio systems.
- Implement quality control measures. Develop and monitor systems for compliance to maintenance procedures and safety rules. Ensure that quality and safety are integrated into all aspects of subordinate responsibilities, including maintaining a safe and healthy work environment, ensuring compliance with safety, security, cleanliness, environmental, and HAZMAT regulations.
- Develop goals, generate, and analyze measurements for the continuous improvement of daily operational efficiencies resulting in improved quality, reliability and cost containment.
- Work to achieve departmental goals and objectives. Monitor progress and take corrective action towards established goals and report results.
- Monitor maintenance of RTS assets maintained by external contractors.
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and material control systems to reduce costs, streamline procedures, and implement solutions.
- Assurance of deliverance of excellence in procurement activities including spend analytics, strategy development, negotiations, and stakeholder engagement
- Manage the department budget. Support the development of annual budget plans for programs, maintenance, capital project, equipment, and goals. Adjusts expenditure priorities as necessary.
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the RTS Records Management Policy and Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of RTS’s Emergency Management System.
- Purchasing, specifications, maintenance, warranty, and disposal of fleet equipment
- Oversight of buildings, grounds, and facilities maintenance
- Administer coworker meetings and department training sessions
- Oversee regulatory federal and state compliance including vehicle licensing
Required Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills Essential to Job Functions:
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing; must clearly and fluently speak and read the English language.
- Proven ability to manage others in an operating/manufacturing/other unionized environment.
- Technical Skills
- Proficiency in using computer systems and software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential.
- Ability to make estimates to forecast needs in terms of labor, material and equipment
- Knowledge of best practices for inventory control, part and materials purchasing, and vendor selection and management of and outsourced services.
- Understanding of lean manufacturing, lean six-sigma and continuous improvement principles, and statistical analysis.
- Leadership & Managerial Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and management to enhance the culture in the maintenance department and throughout the Authority.
- Experience with change management
- Experience developing managers and supervisors
- High degree of emotional intelligence and ability to motivate others
- Superior communication skills (Written, oral and presentation skills)
- Strategic thinker, tactical execution
Required Experience and/or Education:
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible experience in the management and leadership experience in Operations/Manufacturing/Maintenance functions in a unionized environment.
- Lean Six Sigma principles and experience desired
- Bachelor’s degree minimum; MBA or other applicable master’s degree highly desired
- -OR- an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience. [RTS reserves the right to determine the equivalencies of education and experience.]
Work Schedule: 40 hours or more per week, Monday through Friday, typically daytime hours. This employee will also have on-call responsibilities. It may be necessary for this employee to work alternate work schedules and additional hours. Employee may need to fly commercially and travel occasionally.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit while using hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to talk, hear, see, and use a computer. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Employee may need to fly commercially and travel occasionally.
Rochester Genesee Regional Transportation Authority (RGRTA) has a zero-tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees in accordance with state and federal law. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment in accordance with the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
RGRTA is committed to equal opportunity for all, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. RGRTA will make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified employees and applicants with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.
Please note: RTS does not cover any moving or relocating expenses.