Meter Reader – Water 39 views3 applications
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level Entry Level
- Total Years Experience 0-12 months
- Education High School Diploma or GED
This is routine work consisting of reading water meters and accurately recording volume used by residential and commercial consumers. Meter Readers walk or drive a motor vehicle over an established route, frequently work in inclement weather, and are subjected to unpleasant working conditions, such as irate homeowners, vicious dogs, and cluttered or poorly lit basements. Work is performed under general supervision with allowance for use of independent judgment in allocating time and carrying out the details of the assignment. Related work is performed as required.
Typical Work Activities
- Walks or drives a motor vehicle over an established route and takes readings of water meters;
- Reads dials or odometer and manually enters reading into meter reading microprocessor using a touch keypad;
- Inspects meters and connections for defects, damage, and unauthorized connections;
- Checks for cross connection between potable and nonpotable water supply;
- Reports any unmetered premises;
- Checks for seals on meters and open by-pass connections while reading meters;
- Uses pry bar to remove cover and descends ladder to enter below street level vaults to read meters for some commercial accounts;
- May use a portable motorized pump to drain below street level vaults in order to read meter;
- May obtain meter readings from meters not on an established route to verify high or low consumption or final readings for the account;
- May perform minor meter repairs such as register replacement, remote pad installation and wire repairs between the meter and the remote pad;
- May perform shop duties to include stock control, sorting, counting and bagging of meter seals and tags, or inventory of parts and supplies.
High School Diploma or G.E.D.
Candidate must possess a New York State Class D Driver’s license. Licensure must be maintained throughout employment in this title.