Recreation Assistant (Part-time) 48 views
- Salary Offer $17.86 - $18.56/hour
- Experience Level Mid-Level
- Total Years Experience 3-5
- Education High School Diploma or GED
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This recreation position is responsible for planning, organizing and conducting athletic and/or leisure time activities for one or more specific segments of a total recreation program. Duties include assisting with program development and implementation with a focus on program instruction. The employee reports directly to, and works under the general supervision of a Recreation Supervisor or other higher level staff member. General supervision may be exercised over Recreation Assistants and Recreation Attendants. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES (All need not to be performed in a given position. Other related activities may be performed although not listed)
Oversees a recreation program at a recreation facility or program designated facility;
Instructs youth, adults and seniors in a variety of recreation and athletic activities including games, sports, dance, music, story-telling, table and board games, special events and tournaments
Coaches and officiates at team sports and games;
Assists in the planning and organization of seasonal and daily recreation programs; Maintains records of recreation program activities;
Prepares basic oral and written reports;
Inspects facilities and equipment as a safety measure;
Distributes, controls and requisitions supplies and equipment;
Administers emergency first aid as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of recreation theory principles and practices; good knowledge of a variety of recreational activities such as arts and crafts, ceramics, nature activities, storytelling and low organized games; good knowledge of the rules, regulations and techniques of athletic activities, such as basketball, softball, tennis, volleyball, hockey, soccer and relay races; working knowledge of community organization; working knowledge of proper care and storage of recreation equipment; ability to organize, conduct and instruct a variety of recreation and athletic activities; ability to work well with children, senior citizens and other participants of recreation programs; ability to plan, organize and direct the work of others; ability to write basic reports; ability to communicate orally and in writing; ability to stimulate and guide the interest of staff and participants; good judgment; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma, plus EITHER:
- (A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s degree in any recreation and/or parks management, sports management, physical education, education, exercise science, kinesiology, hospitality and tourism management or leisure studies field; OR,
- (B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s degree, plus one (1) year paid or volunteer* full-time or its part-time equivalent experience in recreation or leisure programs, physical education, sports management, coaching organized sports, teaching, or event management; OR,
- (C) Two (2) years paid or volunteer* full-time or its part-time equivalent experience as defined in (B) above; OR,
- (D) An equivalent combination of education and experience as defined by the limits of (A), (B) and (C) above.
*Volunteer experience must be documented by the participating agency. Employment dates, average number of hours worked per week, and job duties must be included and signed by the appointing authority. Documentation must be included with your application.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of a valid certificate in First Aid from a recognized certifying agency acceptable to the New York State Department of Health at the time of appointment.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: If you are appointed, you will be required to have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State or otherwise demonstrate your capacity to meet the transportation needs of the position.