Secretarial/Clerical/Senior Office Account Clerk 17 views
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level Mid-Level
- Total Years Experience 3-5
- Education Some College
This is a senior-level clerical position involving the independent performance of difficult and complex clerical and account keeping tasks for a department or agency. The work may involve use of an automated or manual account keeping system. This employee may also be responsible for planning and review of account keeping and financial record keeping activities of other clerical staff or of a small clerical unit. The use of a personal computer for word processing and database entry is an integral part of the position. The employee reports directly to, and works under the general supervision of a higher level staff member. General supervision may be exercised over Office Account Clerks and other subordinate staff. Does related work as required.
- Maintains financial records, books, files and accounts and reconciles with other financial records and accounting balances according to prescribed procedures;
- Performs independently the more complex and difficult tasks of the clerical unit, such as setting up account books;
- Plans and schedules account keeping and financial record keeping activities, such as computing bills, fees and penalties; processing purchase requisitions, vouchers for payment; posting to accounts routine details of transactions, such as payments, receipts, payroll entries, usage, deductions, assessments and fees; maintaining computerized files;
- Compiles fiscal data and assists in preparing reports for financial, statistical or budget purposes;
- Assists in the development and implementation of new or modified computer programs and systems related to account and financial record keeping activities;
- Compiles data for, prepares, analyzes and checks for completeness and accuracy, a variety of complex financial and statistical records and reports;
- Revises, develops, and implements improved work procedures, forms and methods;
- Operates computing, calculating, electronic work station, data entry and peripheral equipment and other office equipment;
- Confers with and assists administrative staff regarding budget discrepancies, appropriations, amendments and justifications;
- Assists the public by answering questions or resolving problems related to billing, accounts, or fees;
- Trains new employees in the duties of their positions.
Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the Business office.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, copy machine, fax machine, telephone.
- Uses calculating devices.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Good knowledge of the principles, practices, procedures, and methods of maintaining financial accounts and records; good knowledge of standard office procedures and terminology; good knowledge of the use of automated computer systems for financial accounts and records; ability to use a personal computer for word processing and data entry; ability to operate standard office equipment such as calculator and adding machine; ability to utilize an automated account keeping system; ability to make arithmetic computations rapidly and accurately; ability to communicate orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; ability to work well with members of the public; supervisory ability; ability to train others in new methods and practices; good judgment physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office building environments.
This is a COMPETITIVE position under Monroe County Civil Service. To be eligible to apply for this position, applicants must meet one of the three criteria listed below:
- Currently possess the Monroe County Civil Service Title of Senior Office Account Clerk;
- have held the Monroe County Civil Service Title of Senior Office Account Clerk within the last four years,
- or appear on the current list of eligibles for the title of Senior Office Account Clerk (only) as established and provided to the Gates Chili Central School District by the Monroe County Department of Human Resources and Civil Service. Unfortunately, lists of eligibles established as a result of examinations for any other title do not satisfy this requirement.
- or be hired as a Provisional Appointment. The qualified applicant may be provisionally appointed and serve in the position until an appropriate eligible list can be established and a permanent appointment made.