Support Staff/Cafeteria Monitor 13 views
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level Entry Level
- Total Years Experience 0-12 months
- Education NONE
This is a routine aide position in which the incumbent assists in the variety of tasks involved in the execution of the day-to-day operations of a school building. This class differs from teacher aide in that the focus of this class is on simple clerical and monitoring tasks, rather than assisting teachers with classroom related activities such as grading papers, proctoring exams, securing resource materials and assisting students with assignments. The employee reports directly to, and works under the direct supervision of, a professional staff member. Does related work as required.
Essential Job Functions
- Organizes and supervises students at tables and in serving lines.
- Maintains acceptable student behavior in the cafeteria.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment in the cafeteria.
- Supervises students after regular school hours until coaches and other advisors arrive to begin athletic practice sessions and other extra-curricular and co-curricular activities.
- Acts as a monitor in study halls, corridors, libraries, lavatories, resource centers and cafeterias.
- Performs a variety of routine clerical tasks such as making copies and distributing mail.
- Assists in libraries, filing materials, checking and shelving books.
- Prepares bulletin boards.
- Monitors computer lab or room and/or equipment.
- Proctors examinations.
Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Use standard office equipment, such as personal computers and copiers.
Travel between schools, or between schools and central offices, may be required for certain positions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of the school organization.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word).
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Work in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- There are no education qualifications for this position.
- Prior successful experience preferred.
- Valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license in New York State or otherwise demonstrate the ability to meet the transportation needs of the position.