Teaching Assistant I (Grades 7-12) 17 views1 application
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level Some Experience
- Total Years Experience 1-2
- Education High School Diploma or GED
Teaching Assistant I (TA) works under close supervision in performing functions that assist in the treatment and care of the children/youth that we serve. The TA also works in conjunction with the teacher to maintain a positive classroom learning environment to support the academic, emotional, and social growth of students.
Essential functions of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Works with individual students or groups of students requiring special instruction.
- Works with the classroom teacher to identify information about specific students in order to develop appropriate teaching plans and learning experiences for students.
- Assists in preparation of instructional resources and aids students in the use of these resources.
- Provides and effectively plans for prevention and management of crises by therapeutic crisis intervention techniques which may include emergency physical intervention techniques in accordance with agency policy; maintains appropriate affect regulation.
- Works with the classroom teachers to instruct students in areas such as remedial reading, remedial math, and life skills.
- Provides direct classroom instruction in the event of the teacher’s absence.
- Maintains communication with students’ families regarding progress of students, as instructed.
- Helps proctor and supervises students during state testing assessments.
High school diploma and experience working in a classroom or related therapeutic experience with children/youth is required. Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Psychology, Sociology or Early Childhood Education preferred. NYS or eligibility for certification as a teaching assistant is required.