Therapeutic Recreation Specialist I 16 views
- Salary Offer Commensurate with Experience
- Experience Level Mid-Level
- Education 2-year degree
Hillside Family of Agencies is currently hiring for a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist at our Monroe Campus, Rochester, NY location. This is a full time (40 hour) position with hours being between Sunday through Thursday, 12 – 8 pm; should be open to flexible hours based on program needs, including possible nights and/or weekends.
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist is responsible for planning, organizing and implementing recreational activities, also responsible for recreation center supervison, risk managment and safety. The position requires an individual who is committed to recreation as a career choice through training and continuing education.
Essential functions of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Provide supervision of recreation center facilities including gym, pool, playground or other play areas, while maintaining a safe and secure environment.
- Assist in diagnosis and evaluation through recreation assessments.
- Develop treatment goals and monitors progress through appropriate documentation.
- Provide recreation programs, activity leadership and team building initiatives that promote healthy leisure lifestyle choices, psychomotor skills and growth and socialization development.
- Involvement with special clubs or hobby groups (i.e. bike club, plant club, arts and crafts, camping, scouts).
- Support in running social groups in residential units and able to practice/model those skills in the community.
- Seek recreational resource development, including community contacts, free tickets, special events, and activity supply needs and also assists in coordinating volunteering opportunities in the community.
- Be responsible for positive play experiences through role modeling, skill development, and provision of recreation opportunities.
- Associates degree required, in Recreation, Physical Education or related field of study Bachelor’s preferred.
- Experience in Youth Recreation within Human Services environment desired. 1-3 years of youth recreation experience in a human services environment preferred.
- Current CPR/First Aid certification and valid life guarding certification, or a timeframe to obtaining lifeguard certification, upon hire.
- Valid driver’s license and meet agency driving standards; driving is required.