Head of Upper School
- Experience Level Highly Skilled, Managerial
- Total Years Experience 6-10
- Education Master's Degree
The Harley School seeks a Head of Upper School to begin July 1, 2023. Founded in 1917, Harley is a secular independent school in Rochester, New York, offering a college preparatory program for 520 students, Nursery through Grade 12, about 150 of whom are in the Upper School. Rooted in the progressive tradition, Harley is a diverse, inclusive, and forward-thinking community. The Upper School program includes rigorous college preparation, extraordinary programs in the arts, many unique offerings (Hospice, Glass Studio, Food & Farm, Rights & Responsibilities, and more), and a new curriculum for the climate crisis, developed with the help of an Edward E. Ford Foundation grant.
The Head of Upper School is responsible for the entire Upper School program and is a member of the school’s Administrative Team. The successful candidate will be an educator who thinks both practically and philosophically about what it means to be an educated person, and what sort of teaching and programs cultivate such qualities in a young person.
We welcome candidates who may add to our diversity.
To apply, one should submit the following to email@example.com and include “Head of Upper School” in the subject line:
- A cover letter outlining your interest in the position, which should include how you would help Harley live the first line of our mission: “We are a diverse, inclusive school.”
- A resume or c.v., including contact information for three references
- Optional: any other documents from your experience that you think represent you in an authentic way
Again, the Head of Upper School is responsible for the entire Upper School program, has supervisory responsibility for all Upper School staff and faculty, and is a member of the school’s Administrative Team. In addition to other roles that might be assigned as needed by the Head of School, the primary duties and responsibilities of the Head of Upper School will include all of the following:
- Serve as the educational leader of the Upper School; develop and maintain a culture and educational program that bolsters a dynamic learning environment and deepens the sense of belonging for each member of the learning community.
- Ensure the smooth running of the day-to-day life of the division, including communication with families, students, teachers, advisors, and staff.
- Conduct regular meetings with faculty which deal with both routine school matters and the exchange of ideas on issues of educational interest and concern.
- Oversee the coordination of the co-curricular and extra-curricular activity programs of the division; assist in the planning and the presentation of school assemblies and programs; assist in maintaining a comprehensive calendar of school events.
- Be a visible presence in all areas of the school, work toward a resolution of all problems — both routine and unique — as they arise, and keep the Head of School informed of the general programs, activities, and problems of the school.
- Collaborate with the Upper School’s Department Chairs, to create an engaging, forward thinking, and comprehensive learning environment.
- Participate in the strategic planning and leadership of Harley as a member of the Administration Team.
- Advance the School’s commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion, as well as to education for a sustainable future.
- Develop and nurture positive relationships and communication with students, colleagues, and parents/guardians.
- Support the performance and professional growth of Upper School colleagues through on-going mentoring, evaluation and professional development opportunities.
- Supervise the instructional programs of the School to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials consistent with research on learning, growth and development.
- Collaborate with the Upper School counselors and advisors to foster and maintain the academic success and the social and emotional health of Upper School students.
- Take primary responsibility for hiring for the division, working with the Head of School, Chief Financial Officer, and Department Chairs.
- Coordinate efforts with the admission and communication departments to recruit, admit and retain Upper School students.
- Partner with the academic leadership team to develop and implement school-wide curricular initiatives.
- Administer the annual Upper School budget.